Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Spring Fest 2014

I really meant to post about this a few weeks back, but somehow time just keeps getting away from me.

For those that don't already know, the Goochland and Powhatan Master Gardeners put on an annual Spring Fest of garden related classes and a fantastic plant sale at the Goochland campus of J.Sargeant Reynolds Community College.   The day is divided into three sessions, each about an hour and a half long with several class choices during each session.  I learned how to make a hypertufa container, how to select the right tomato for my needs and all about hydrangeas.   I always learn something new and meet some great people.  Of course I also purchased quite a few plants; some from private vendors and many more from the students in the college's Ag program.   All in all it was a gorgeous day and I had lots of fun.

This big old cherry tree was in full bloom and every time a breeze came along, the pink petals rained down.  It was beautiful.




I'll be making a series of 'Tufa troughs like the one below for growing root crop along our front walk where the half barrels are now.   Can't wait to play!








Of course I went Hosta crazy.  This is a really nice vendor --- PlantSmart   It was a good thing the event has a holding area for all of our purchases while we are in class!



No comments:

Post a Comment