Sunday, August 18, 2013

Sad News...

My favorite rooster, Houdi, was killed by something.   Why is it always the favorites?

He was one of our most far ranging chickens so I wasn't too surprised when he didn't come running when I got home from work as most of the flock does.  (I'm the one who feeds and they know it's dinner time when "mom" gets home.)

When he didn't return again yesterday, I went looking but didn't find anything.  Today I found the grisly remains.  He had been partially pulled through our perimeter fence.  Yuk.

I am so sad.   He was our only Houdan cock bird and I was planning to set up an autumn breeding pen with him.  Now we will have no Houdans for at least another year.   This sets my Houdan project back...again.  At this point I have given up on the Houdans and have removed them from our breed list.   The girls will become part of the layer flock.

R.I.P. Houdi boy





No comments:

Post a Comment